<body>


Friday, April 22, 2011

ヒロイン失格 (Heroine Shikkaku) - Chapter 13

The cover
It continues from Nakajima telling Ria: "Don't try to be a nerd, I will kill you...."

Nakajima sees Rita, walks up to him and said to him: "Terasaka, i forgot to tell you something important....

.... you incompetent boyfriend."
Rita: "Huh? I feel like i'm being abducted by alien."

Hatori's narration: "From today onwards, its the new semester. I've decided that Rita's confession did not happened and the utmost important thing to do now is to attack!!" Hatori sees Rita (he's with Adachi) she walks up to them with a smile on her face and starts making casual conversation with them.

Moe: "Nakaji-chin, why does Terasaka-kun looks like he's giving up hope?"
Nakajima: "Yup, he's hopeless."
Kousuke: "Heh, he sure looks hopeless." and his thoughts "Seems like things are getting interesting, isn't it?"

Back to the conversation between Rita, Adachi and Hatori.
Hatori: "So Adachi, are you going to Rita's house to make him dinner again today?"
Adachi: "Yup, that's my plan."
Hatori: "So, can i join in the dinner today too? "

Adachi: "Sure! Of course you may."
Rita: "Hey, Hatori, can i talk to you for a moment? Adachi, sorry but can you go over first?"
Adachi: "Um..." and she wonders what's going on.

Rita: "Ermmm, it's about that... when i'm with Adachi, can you don't come over to my house?"
Hatori: "Why? Isn't it like the usual?"
Rita: "It's not and i'm begging you to read the atmosphere."

Hatori: "Why does Rita sounds you've seen a young girl and harboring thoughts and for the 'home electricity' (referring to herself) not to come over.' like a perverted old man. What's about reading the atmosphere? When you treated my confession by just leaving it there lidat?"
Rita: "There's nothing i can do isn't it? I'm still unsure of my own feelings. I hope you can give me more time to think about it?"
Hatori: "Nakajima said that it's only normal for me to run away from you."
Rita: "Hatori, i wouldn't run away, i promise thus, please give me some more time."

Hatori's thoughts "I understand Rita...

... and that is why i don't trust him but there's no use pushing him to the corner now."
Hatori: "I understand. I will wait like a mature lady." and she walks over to lend on Rita and said: "Just for 5 secs" and her thoughts "I'm sure i will be catch his feelings eventually....

... and i'm not letting go! Never!"

Adachi is waiting for Rita in the classroom when two girls walked over and asked: "Adachi-san... did you broke up with Terasaka-kun?"
Adachi: "Nope, we did not break up."
Girls: "That its what i thought too... you see... let's go already. Sorry to trouble you Adachi-san."
Adachi: "Eh?" and she followed behind the two girls to hear them says: "I'm sure that was Terasaka-kun and Hatori. They were holding hands and behaving like a couple."

Hatori's thoughts "Who are you going to choose between Adachi and I? Please don't two time us!"

Back in the classroom, the homeroom teacher needs someone to volunteer as the representative for the upcoming school cultural festival. Hatori's classmates are nominating Hatori to be the class representative and it seems like everyone is leaving and  thanking her for being such an idiot to accept so that everyone can go home early with the class representative decided. Hatori shouts back in disagee, Rita laughs upon hearing Hatori shouting back and Adachi saw it.

Hatori: "Teacher, there should be two class representative right? What are you going to do for the other one?"
Teacher: "There no other choice, choose anyone you like."
Hatori: "Really?" with the evil idea look on her face and thinks "Of course it's only natural to be Rita."
Hatori: "Then... Ri..."
Adachi: "Matsuzaki-san, i want to be the class representative too!"
Teacher: "Yes. It's Hatori and Adachi."
Hatori: "HUH?? Wait a minute teacher!"
Teacher: "The meeting will start at 12.20pm, please go the the music class room."

Hatori's thoughts "Adachi??"

Adachi: "Let's make our move already."
Rita: "You are really going to do it?"
Adachi: "Eh? Why?"

Rita's thoughts "It is impossible for this two girls to remain peaceful together."

Kousuke: "Hatori-chan, there's an empty seat here."
Haotir: "Kousuke-kun? It's been a long time since we met during the fireworks festival. It's surprising for Kousuke-kun to taking up the role of a class representative. "
Kousuke putting his hand on the girl beside him said: "Surprised right? She cried begging me that's why."
The girl: "I did not cry!"

Hatori's thoughts "Another girl who like Kousuke-kun."

Someone: "Class 1-4, did you bring the note?"
Hatori: "Nope, i'm going back to take."

Adachi: "Erm.. Kousuke-kun..."
Kousuke: "Yes?"
Adachi: "Kousuke-kun are together (with Hatori and Rita) during the fireworks festival too?"
Kousuke: "I met they by chance. Hatori-chan and Terasak-kun seems to have went alone."
Adachi: "Is that so..."

Kousuke's thoughts "This is bad... it's so interesting!"

Hatori reads the notes and know that this year's cultural festival, their class is going to organize the Ms and Mr contest and her thoughts "Rita is definitely going to be the contestant for Mr....

... and i'm going to be the contestant for Ms. and we will win the title for Ms. and Mr. and everyone in school will acknowledge us as a couple." and Hatori continues to day dream through out the whole meeting.

Adachi: "Matszaki-san, the meeting is over."
Hatori: "eh? How? it's over and i heard nothing!"
Adachi: "It's alright. I've taken down all the notes."
Hatori: "Thank You!" and she thinks "It's so convenient with her around."
Adachi: "Come to think of it, Matsuzaki-san, what did you do with Terasaka-kun during the summer vacation?"
Hatori: "Eh?" and her thoughts "Why? I can't tell you those things. If she knows about it now, Rita will apologized to her and that will be the end of everything." and so she said: "I'd alot of things going on and that is why i did not meet Rita at all."
Adachi: "Is that so? Really?"
Hatori: "Huh? Yup, why?"

Adachi: "But for Matsuzaki-san, it's impossible for you to leave Rita alone isn't it?"
Hatori: "I can't help it, can i? I've things i need to do. Speaking of which, you left Rita alone here and went for your overseas exchange. What is it? Is there something you want to say?"

Kousuke sees Rita in the classroom, he's waiting for Adachi.
Rita's thoughts "I think it's better to tell Adachi all the truth."

Kousuke: "Why? Terasak-kun is making such a serious face. Seem to me like you are thinking that you are done with Hatori. Eh... is it true?...

... That's so mean. Hatori is going to be so pitiful. How about giving Hatori to me?"
Rita hit the desk real hard and said: "What's with you? Always poking you nose in to other people business and commenting non-stop. Is it really that enjoyable?"
Kousuke: "Um.. it's really very enjoyable!"
Rita: "Are you an idiot? Are you that free?...

... Do you think you are very cool? Why do you give the face as thought you seems to know everything.?"
Kousuke: "I know i'm cool. It can't be help if others want to be close to me. You think you are very cool acting all frivolously? Junior school level."

Kousuke: "From what i see, you behave more like a kid and it such a pain to look at you. So how about giving Hatori to me?"
Rita: "Are you an idiot? It's impossible for Hatori to like someone like you."

Kousuke: "You've said something very interesting."

Back to Hatori and Adachi.
Hatori: "What is it that you wish to say?"
Adachi: "Even though i've asked you do do it on my behalf before i left for Mexico... What do i expect of others when i asked them to do such things on my behalf. I'm sorry but since i'm already back, there should be no problem. I will stay by Terasaka-kun's side."
Hatori: "What is this? I'm planning to say by Rita's side."
Adachi: "I'm Terasak'kun's girlfriend." and she turns and leave.

Hatori: "Wait! Don't leave. I know. You are afraid of me isn't it? Didn't i said it before? I'm not giving Rita to anyone and i'm going to snatch him away from you and do you remember what you told me the other time?"

Flashback: Adachi: "If Terasak-kun chooses Moe, theres nothing i can do about it. That how i think it is."

Hatori: "This is bad but i'm going to stay by Rita's side from now onwards....

... Is Adachi-san not able to accept it if Rita is going to like me in return?"

Rita appears: "Adachi... the meeting ended? What are you both talking about?"
Adachi: "Nothing much. Let's go Terasaka-kun."
Rita turn around a sees Hatori and Hatori's thought "I'm not wrong! But why do i feel defeated now?"

Adachi: "Terasaka-kun, what should we eat tonight? I will make what every you like to eat today."
Rita: "Is that so?"
Adachi: "I've not watched DVD for a long time, I've rented one and let's spend time slowly together....

...Terasaka-kun, what do you wish to do? I've willfully did what i wanted to do during the summer vacation so now i'm going to stay by Terasak-kun's side as much as possible. It's not out of obligation of course. It's because i want to do it."
Rita: "Adachi. Wait a minute. There are things i need to tell you."
Adachi: "What is it?"
Rita: "...."
Adachi: "Did anything happened between you and Matsuzaki-san?"

Rita: "!, i'm sorry, i've kissed Hatori during the fireworks festival."
Adachi: "Eh? I thought you've only held her hand. Eh? Why?...

... Do you like Matsuzaki-san?"
Rita: "I don't know."
Adachi with tears in her eyes: "Eh? Then what about me? Do you hate me already?"
Rita: "It's not that."
Adachi: "Then what is this about?"
Rita: "Adachi!"
Adachi: "Do you want to break up with me?"
Rita: "No....

... it's just that i don't know what i should do."
Adachi: "I understood." and she left.
Rita: "Adachi!" but she did not turn back.


The next day in school.

Hatori: "Eh? Really? What does that mean?"
Rita: "I don't know. She wants to keep a distant from me?"

Hatori's thoughts "Yeah! Finally!"

Rita: "And about you... "
Hatori: "I understand. I understand. I know it's not a time to ask of this now. I will wait for Rita to calm down and tell me how you feel."
Rita: "Um.

Hatori's thoughts "So... at the looks of things now... it's just a matter of time."

****
omg~ Rita should really just end up alone! He doesn't seems to know anything and my dear Hatori!!! You are not normal!!! How can you be satisfied with a guy like Rita who doesn't know anything at all?

I'm pretty sure Rita is going to hurt Hatori in the next chapter pushing and tramping her all over in hell.

argh.... i feel so much anger reading this manga!!!!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rita is a freaking bastard. ugh, so annoying. he keeps on giving hatori and everyone else false hope. hope hatori ends up with the other guy. anyway, thank you for the summary :D

April 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Ankemaybe said...

I think I said this before. Hatori has no sense of self-preservation. It's like she sees a dead end, a wall, she goes running towards it. What is so cool or interesting about Rita?!

I am beginning to suspect that the mangaka has met a character like Rita before and her reason for drawing this series to share her grief. Gosh! I have never met a worst off character. Yikes!

April 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Jayde said...

Im honestly surprised @ rita, how could he expect Hatori to wait like a mistress!? I admire her determination, How many times Rita is going to have to mess up before she gets the big picture.

Him asking her not to go to the dinner makes me think there mightve have been more going on at those dinners then hes letting on lol jk, I know he just wanted the time to figure out his feelings.

Kousuke is really becoming of my favorite characters, he really knows how to spice things up lol, I hope he keeps it up. Time for Rita to see that Hatori is a hottie!! lol, desired by many men.

If Rita & Hatori really do get together whats next!? I dont think it will be that simple, were in route for some more drama!! I <3 it, especially since one of my friends is going through this EXACT situation lol.

April 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have feeling that for now Rita will choose to stay with Adachi(i'm still waiting for her evil side) because he is such pathetic and a coward. And Kousuke should really snatch Hatori away.

April 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM  
Anonymous SoFree said...

Haha, quick go read something really cute and life-affirming - get the wretched taste out of your mouth!

Wow, this chapter was gross. First, the Adachi characterization is bunk - it's not that the character is supposed to be positioned as sweet and innocent that bugs (most manga heroines are to an insipid degree), it's that this is a girl who forever falls off the canvas because she's off having an identity outside of her boyfriend. Juxtaposed Hatori who willfully wraps her entire existence around this limp loser - her goal to achieve - I know we're supposed to find this rival lacking. But, let's be real. Girlfriend isn't embroiled in petty drama because she's too busy being a worthwhile human being and taking advantage of incredible opportunities. In what universe would any sane, feeling person give this girl a hard time for leaving her guy behind for a summer to go do something significant? They'd (rightfully) praise her and scoff at Rita for feeling "abandoned." Bizzaro world...

Second. Hatori, please. You want to win this one. You desperately want to walk away from this ugly, messy, life-consuming, self-destructive battle with the prize. You've invested, and sacrificed, and lost so much in the process, how can you possibly just give up and walk away empty handed? You have to win so that it will all mean something. But, look at the guy, darling. He's the DEFINITION of "booby prize." Even if you get him, you're still walking away with nothing, because dude is a zero. Less than zero. He's a negative. He's... well:

Third. Rita. You made so many sad panda faces this chapter contemplating your own worthlessness, which raised you marginally in my estimation. Except. Well, your girlfriend was away for a few months doing worthwhile things and you couldn't keep it in your pants. You consoled yourself with the easy vulnerability of the girl who practically wrote Garbage's #1 Crush for you. You took advantage, and you did it half-assed. And you know why you can't be with her, why it scares you so much? Because, in spite of her pathetic, humiliating attachment to you - and her willingness to debase herself for it - she's too strong, too vital and spirited, too ALIVE for a coasting, sagging parasite like yourself. You know what everybody else does, and only she doesn't. That crazy, headstrong, selfish, diabolical, obsessive, creepy girl is too good for you. Too bright, too earnest, too damned honest. She'll overpower you.

But, then there is Kousuke - our voice in the narrative, wandering around calmly flinging his contempt on the whole situation. Of course Rita is right - Hatori wouldn't like someone like him. Not when he might like her back. He'll be there when the bomb drops though, whatever comes of it - he won't say he told you so, but you'll know he did.

Man, this manga is addictive - What misery lies ahead...

April 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Ankemaybe said...

@SoFree, I love your comment:" He's the DEFINITION of "booby prize." Even if you get him, you're still walking away with nothing, because dude is a zero. Less than zero. He's a negative."

Ditto!

Run! Hatori! Run! Adachi! Run! Everyone!

April 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Mikimata said...

Thank you, thank you so much for the summary! I checked in this morning, hoping it would be here. I was so excited and happy...of course, until the absolute frustration of the actual chapter took over. Heh.

Wow, great post, SoFree. I agree with everything you said, without reservation! I don't care what happens to Rita; actually, that's not true, I want him to be alone and left realizing what a worthless piece of s**t he is. Also, he needs to see a psychiatrist.

And Hatori - I really don't know why I like her. She is totally crazy and obsessed, and it's all for a guy who is clearly not worth it. I guess it has to do with what SoFree was saying, in spite of everything, she is so full of life and tries so hard. You just keep hoping she'll snap out of it, get some self-respect, and move on.

Adachi's "perfect girl" mask was showing some cracks this chapter. That crap she always spouts about supporting Rita's feelings no matter what was obviously a lie. She is a hypocrite, just like Kousuke commented previously. That's why I've always disliked her, even though in this situation, I'd normally feel sorry for her. But, even she is too good for Rita.

We like Kousuke because he is our "Greek chorus," the guy who says what all of the readers are thinking. I've come to hope he ends up with Hatori, because he is a good balance for her warped sense of reality.

This manga is incredibly, outrageously frustrating, but it is highly original. I really think it is intended as a parody of certain styles of shoujo manga, and has a very dark, ironic sense of humor. I don't have the slightest idea how this story will end, but I'm definitely along for the ride!

April 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM  
Anonymous cappuccino said...

thank you so much fujioshi!!!!! Adachi finally shows her true colours

April 23, 2011 at 12:04 AM  
Anonymous SoFree said...

Thanks, Ankemaybe - I think Rita is a muse in that he inspires such colorful and expressive language in all of us. We become poets in his presence - vulgar, pithy poets provoked by ugliness rather than beauty... But hatred can be equally as moving as love, no? Heh.

Mikimata, I think you're correct in your interpretation of this manga - I take that away from reading it too. Not only is this not your typical shoujo - doesn't the summary actually tells us straight out it isn't? - I think the shoujo tropes are ONLY employed to be subverted.

On its face, the conflict appears to be this immature girl's struggle to win the affections of the boy she loves. But I think her true struggle is with herself, and the actual conflict is in reconciling that often terrifying space between childhood and adulthood. It's about coming of age in a painful, humiliating, excruciating way - you know, the way most of us do.

Remember the scene where Hatori can't go through with having sex with Kousuke? If you look at sex as "becoming a woman" - a piece of that transition to adulthood - Hatori's reaction is very telling. Before that moment, her relationship with K progresses quite naturally for your typical teenage lust thing... It's fine when they're just playing around with their mutual attraction, but it stops being fun when the stakes actually become real.

Almost immediately afterwards, H recommits herself to the pursuit of Rita, and with renewed vigor. (Or increased desperation...) Her explanation is that she loves Rita, but the kind of mania we've seen from H - an all-consuming obsession like that? That's fear. Of what it might mean to NOT love R, for starters. (Remember how she's said a few times that she still "WANTS" to like him? Not just "I still like him" but, "I still WANT to." Very significant.)

In essence, H is afraid of moving forward. She's not ready for the freedom of adulthood or the responsibilities that come with it. (The irony here is how H tends to run amok because nobody actually imposes the boundaries upon her that she so desperately needs. She's like a child nobody ever says no to - not even Rita's own girlfriend!) That's why she had to take K and his mature expectations out of the equation, and why she needed to refocus on the safe, non-threatening Rita who'll let her stick with the status quo. R wouldn't put her in a position where she might have to deal with the adult realities of wanting someone who might want her in return.

So, ultimately, I don't think H's journey is at all about winning the guy, nor do I think it will end that way. Rather, I think her resolution will involve bridging the gap between adolescence and adulthood by coming to terms with her own powerlessness to resist that change. She'll have to let go of Rita (ie. her childhood) to embrace a world that doesn't revolve around him, and find her place in it (ie. adulthood).

Only when Hatori puts down the shoujo manga to engage with the real world, will WE get to put down the shoujo manga too, for once glad to escape our escapism. And maybe that's the point - perhaps we're supposed to breathe a sigh of relief after it's all over, grateful that the whole thing was just a story, not a single one of us wistfully wondering why we can't meet guys like Rita in Real Life. Which is actually pretty funny if you think about it...

April 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Some Nobody said...

I agree. This manga was awesome as a comedy, but now it's a turned into everything that it initially made fun of.

The mangaka seems to have a problem keeping the integrity of the story intact; it's all over the place. It's like she had no idea where to go w/ the story if it had lasted more than 2 volumes. Way too many odd developments.

Why did Hatori stop liking Kousuke? Why did Rita agree to go out w/ Adachi in the first place? Why do Hatori and Rita act so bi-polar?

April 24, 2011 at 5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really hate rita he was so selfish!
and hatori became the guy because he is the one who is courting!
i hope there will comes the times when hatori will give up rita and she will
move on!
i'm much like kosuke than rita!

April 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous yuyeon said...

hatori is so pretty, can't she just get over rita? I truly want him to end up being alone and to regret what he did to everyone! I want to see him suffering MUHAHAHA *cough* jk.

May 2, 2011 at 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hatori has a loose screw in the head or something. Rita better knock some sense into her. When is she gonna give up such a fruitless, nasty fellow.

May 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm starting to like Adachi more. No, she isn't perfect but she's a character I can relate as a normal human being that has some pride and strength to walk away from filth. At least she acts upset enough to walk away. That's more than can be said of Hatori. As for Rita, his inability to decide makes me think that he doesn't value either of the girls romantically. He values their company because he's such an awkward socially inept idiot. Either way, I can't seem to appreciate Hatori, Kousuke, or Rita because they all give me the sense that they pursue superficial dreams. Rita pursues what it feels like to have friends that understand you. Kousuke, the girl who says no. Hatori even seems to love the idea of being in love with her childhood friend as a convenience masked under the illusion of destiny and fate.

So to conclude, I couldn't care less about the main character. Adachi run like hell and let these mutters sort out their adolescent confusions themselves. Misery loves company.

May 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Bookmark and Share

Profile



腐女子 SHOP:


腐女子 HEARTS:
shopping:買い物
couch potato:カウチポテト
yoga:ヨガ
skincare:エステ
cosmetic::化粧品
manga:漫画
anime:アニメ
latte:ラーテ
travel:旅行

腐女子 TREKKED:
Australia - Brisbane, GoldCoast
HongKong
Indonesia - Batam, Hapchai
日本 - 東京 - 東京都/奥多摩湖/伊豆七島, 千葉県 - 千葉, 神奈川 - 横浜/鎌倉/箱根, 埼玉 - 秩父/長瀞/川越, 静岡県 - 御殿, 山梨 - 富士山, 京都, 大阪, 福島 - 喜多方, 広島-宮島/厳島神社, 兵庫県 - 神戸ベイエリア, 奈良県 - 奈良公園(東大寺&春日山), 愛知県 - 名古屋, 栃木県 - 日光, 長野県 - 軽井沢 , 熊本県 - 熊本/阿蘇, 鹿児島県 - 桜島, 北海道 - 函館/札幌/小樽
Korea - Seoul
Malaysia - KL, BatuPahat, JB, Genting
CameronHighlands
Taiwan - Taipei
Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket
HongKong
New Zealand

腐女子 FUTURE TREKS:
Cambodia - Siem Reap
Indonesia - Bali
Vietnam
Europe

腐女子 CURRENT READ:
電撃デイジ
君に届け
カノジョは嘘を愛しすぎてる
スイッチガール!!
好きっていいなよ
スキップ・ビート!-
今日、恋をはじめます
会長はメイド様
ヒミツのアイちゃん
Crash!
僕たち知ってしまた
黎明のアルカナ
神様はじめました
Black Bird
360°マテリアル
ヒロイン失格
虎と狼
好きって言わせる方法
君じゃなきゃダメなんだ
隣のあたし
僕等がいた
花にけだもの
ぬらりひょんの孫
べるぜバブ
バクマン
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Categories













Manga Summary - Ongoing




Manga Summary - Completed

Manga Summary - Dropped

Manga Recommendation





Manga Teaser



Follow Me
Archives


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.
Bookmark and Share